Customers in the UK with Paypal Website Payments Pro would have recently received an email from Paypal regarding the new Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) requirement in the EU Second Payments Service Directive (PSD2). For more information on Paypal PSD2/SCA:
MembershipWorks now integrates with CardinalCommerce® (the Paypal partner for SCA) to provide 3-D Secure (3DS) authentication with your Paypal Website Payments Pro account. To activate 3DS authentication for credit card transactions processed through MembershipWorks:
- If you have not already done so, register for a CardinalCommerce® (there is a register link on the Paypal page above)
- When registering for the account, select “Custom Built Cart”
- Note down the Cardinal API key, API identifier and OrgUnit ID
- Login to MembershipWorks as the primary administrator
- Go to Organization Settings > Integration > Payments
- Enter the Cardinal API key, API identifier and OrgUnit ID
- Click “Save & Continue”
Once the Cardinal API credentials is saved, MembershipWorks will process credit card transactions with 3-D Secure authentication when required.
Important – do not use the test API credentials.
Note: at this time recurring billing transactions are not authenticated through 3DS, Paypal has not yet released any information on how 3DS should be implemented for recurring billing. We will update our system as soon as more information is provided by Paypal.