Sometimes a member or admin will have questions or problems related to logging into their account. Here are some common troubleshooting steps to help identify the reason they may be having a login issue.
How to troubleshoot member login issues
If a member is having difficulty signing into their account, verify that they are logging in on the correct member login/sign-in page on your website.
The website link should NOT include the following text:
Next, verify that the member has an account in the system.
- Go to Dashboard > Stats and click on the “total accounts” link at the top of the page (to the right of the first pie chart)
- Enter the member’s name or email address in the keyword search field and click “Search”
A member may have updated their email address and forgotten that it has been changed. It’s also possible that their email address has a typo in it. To verify that the email address on the account is correct:
- Click on the member’s account
- Click the “Profile” tab at the top
- Verify that the address in the Email field is correct and matches the email address the member is using to login.
If you have verified that the member is using the correct email address and signing in on the correct page, then they are most likely entering an incorrect password. They should request a password from the Member sign-in page.
Note that when a member requests a password, admins will see a Password Requested entry on the member’s timeline with a date and time stamp of when the request was made. (See image below)
If the member has a Password Request entry on their timeline but they have not received the email, the likely issue is that the password request email was quarantined as spam by their email inbox.
In this case, have the member double check their spam folder for the email. If they find the email was sent to spam they should mark the email as “not spam” to train their email program to not recognize these emails as spam in the future.
Each time a new password is requested, it invalidates any old passwords. If the member has requested several passwords in a row, it may be confusing to know which one is the latest.
If the member has requested a new password and this password doesn’t work, ask them to request a new password again. If they don’t receive it in their inbox immediately, ask them to check their spam folder. You may also request that they copy and paste the new password in (to avoid any typos).
Another issue that can cause an incorrect password to be entered is if the member’s browser tries to auto-populate the password field with an outdated password. Ask the member if they see this happening. If they have a browser extension such as LastPass or Dashlane, they may need to disable this temporarily.
Finally, you can also opt to set the password for the member. You may find this to be a preferable method as you could then test the members login on your website to be sure it’s working. To set the members password follow these steps:
- Go to MembershipWorks > Members and click on the member’s account
- Click on the Profile tab
- Click on the Password Change link
- Enter a new password
- Click Save
- Go to the Member Sign-In page on your website and enter the member’s email address and the new password to test it first.
If you do not see the Password field when you click on the member’s profile, you can add it by following these steps:
- Go to MembershipWorks > Customization and click on “Admin Profile”
- Click “+ Add Field”
- Next to “Field”, click to select “Password” from the dropdown
- Click “OK” and then click “Save Template” on the left
After adding the password field to this template, click on the Profile tab in the member’s account to change their password.
Resolving Admin Login Problems
If an admin is having difficulty signing into their account, verify that they are logging in on the correct website page. This may be at https://membershipworks.com/admin/ or it may be from within WordPress.
If they are logging in to their account from within WordPress, verify that they are already logged into WordPress. It’s possible that they are actually trying to log into their WordPress account, which may have a different username and password.
Primary admin is getting “Login/Password not accepted”
If you are trying to login as the primary admin on the account and you receive the error message Login/password not accepted:
- Go to https://membershipworks.com/admin/ and click to select “Request Password”
- Enter your email address and click the “Request Password” button. A randomly generated password will be emailed to the email address on the account.
- Go to https://membershipworks.com/admin/ and login with the new password
- Go to Organization Settings and click the “Change” link next to “Password” to change this password
- Click “Save & Continue”
Secondary admin is getting “Login/Password not accepted”
Have a password emailed to them
- Login as the primary admin and go to MembershipWorks > Organization Settings and click the “Sign Out” tab at the top to sign out of your admin account
- Click to select “Request Password” and enter the secondary admin’s email address
- Click the “Request Password” button
- Log back in as the primary admin
Or change their password for them
- Login as the primary admin and go to MembershipWorks > Organization Settings and click the “Admins” tab at the top
- Click on the admin’s account
- Click the “Change” link next to “Password” to change their password
- Click “Save”
If you have requested a password for the primary admin on the account and you receive this error, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (469) 804-0871 (M-F 10AM-6PM CST) and we will verify the email address that is associated with the primary admin.
Secondary admin is getting “No account found with this email address” error
If a secondary admin is getting a “No account found with this email address” error when requesting a password, login to MembershipWorks as the primary admin and:
- Verify they are listed under Organization Settings > Admins.
- Verify that the email address they are using to login is the email address that is listed for their admin account.
- Verify that they are logging in at https://membershipworks.com/admin/.
Comments are closed.