MembershipWorks vs. Donorbox
Looking for a Donorbox Alternative?
MembershipWorks and Donorbox both allow nonprofits to easily add donations and recurring memberships to websites. But MembershipWorks is a Donorbox alternative with more features that help retain members such as member only content, shopping carts, forms, member directories, and event calendars. In addition, while Donorbox appears to be an inexpensive way to add donations to a website, note their transaction fee of close to 3% (added on top of payment gateway fees) along with their high cost of integrations.
Why Choose MembershipWorks Nonprofit Membership Software
- No added transaction fees. Donorbox adds on a 2.95% platform fee in addition to payment gateway fees. With typical payment gateway fees running around 2.9% plus $.30 per transaction, your organization could lose around 6% of every donation. MembershipWorks does not charge added transaction fees; you’ll only incur payment gateway fees.
- Free phone support and live screen share training. Have your questions resolved quickly by email, phone, or live one-on-one screen share training with MembershipWorks. Donorbox offers email support.
- Quickbooks integration. Donorbox does not integrate directly with Quickbooks while MembershipWorks does. MembershipWorks also integrates with Xero.
- Group memberships. Many nonprofits offer family or corporate memberships where multiple family members or staff people need memberships under one account. Donorbox does not offer this feature; MembershipWorks does.
- Member only content. When offering memberships and soliciting donations, it helps to have membership or donor benefits. Providing content that’s only available to members can be a draw for potential donors. Donation or member status is shared across your website when you use MembershipWorks. This allows you to offer member only discounts, donor only events, discounted member tickets, and more.
- Built in member directories, job boards, forms, classified ads, shopping carts, and announcement boards. As an all-in-one software, MembershipWorks customers can easily add these nonprofit membership features to their website at no extra charge, all of which have the potential to generate non-dues revenue. Having all of these features in one platform reduces the need for additional integrations that can be difficult to setup and troubleshoot.
- Member approval process. Admins using MembershipWorks can set up an approval process so that prospective members can’t access to donor benefits until an admin approves them. Donorbox does not offer this feature.
- Member-generated events. With MembershipWorks, you can allow members and donors to submit events to be listed on a community calendar. These events can automatically post or can be screened by an administrator for approval. While Donorbox has an event registration feature, it does not offer an event calendar.
- Free or low cost integrations. Donorbox integrations incur additional fees of $8-$50/month per integration. Available integrations include MailChimp, Double the Donation, and Salesforce. MembershipWorks offers both a free and a paid ($9/month) MailChimp integration.
|Price per month starts at||$0 for 50 Free Plan; paid plans start at $35 (300 or less accounts)||$0, but high fees for integrations*|
|Additional per-transaction charges (beyond payment gateway fees)||$0||2.95% on top of payment gateway fees|
|Member Only Content||Yes||No|
|Event Calendar / Registration||Yes||No calendar; yes registration|
|Announcement Board or Forum||Yes||No|
|Donations (aside from memberships that are donations)||Yes||Yes|
|CMS compatibility||WordPress, Weebly, Squarespace, Wix, Duda, WithoutCode, Drupal, Joomla, Spacecraft, HTML5 sites||WordPress, Weebly, Squarespace, Wix, Webflow|
|Key Integrations||MailChimp, Quickbooks Online and Desktop, Xero||* Salesforce, MailChimp, Double the Donation (all with fees)|
|Payment Gateways||Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal||Stripe, PayPal, Venmo, Google Pay, Apple Pay|
|Support||Free phone, email, and live screen share training|
* Added cost for each integration ranges from $8/mo. to $50/mo.
Explore MembershipWorks Features
|Membership Management||Event Calendar & Registrations||Online Payments||Donations, Carts & Forms||Job Board||Announcement Board||Classified Ads||Member Directory||Members Only Content/Items|
Note that pricing and features may change from the information we have gathered here. Providers regularly evolve their product offerings and price points.
Comments are closed.