Administrators can now add fields to event registration forms to collect UTM codes or parameters for referral tracking purposes. These codes are passed on by links such as those from Google Adwords. The fields are invisible to your website users, but can be viewed and exported by the admin.
How to implement this feature on your Event Registration template
- Go to Customization > Event Registration
- Click on “+ Add Field”
- Under Field select “New custom field.” Note that if you have already created UTM fields for your Member-Sign Up template, you can reuse/add those fields here without impacting the data collected by either form.
- Under Type select “UTM code/parameter”
- Under the “Parameter” field, select the appropriate UTM code you want to record with this field. Your choices are:
- Provide an appropriate Description and 2-letter identifier.
- Click OK
- Repeat steps 2-7 for each of the UTM codes you want to record
- Click “Save Template” to save the changes to the form. The UTM fields will be invisible to those completing your form.
What is a UTM code?
UTM stands for Urchin tracking module. UTM codes are added to the end of a URL; they provide Google Analytics or other tools with information about the link. With UTM codes attached to your links, you can track:
- How much traffic comes from a specific link, such as a link in an email campaign, blog post or on social media
- If the ad campaign you are running is having success
- Conversion metrics in Google Analytics related to various campaigns
URL formatting and example
Then the URL you should provide to the referral source is:
When the referral source directs users to the page with the UTM codes, the URL would look something like this:
How do I access the UTM field data?
Once you’ve added UTM-related fields to your Event Registration template, you can view the UTM data associated with a registration by clicking on Edit > Edit registration from the event dashboard.
You can access the data in bulk by exporting the event’s data to a CSV file:
- Click on Event List
- Click on the event you want to collect data from
- On your event’s Dashboard, click “Export CSV”
- Under “Registration data to include” at minimum select “Primary registration information”
- Have at least one of the items under “Export only registrations with these tickets” selected
- Click “Export”
How do I know if I need to add this field to my Event Registration template?
Can MembershipWorks help me set up UTM codes?
Can I use UTM codes with other forms in MembershipWorks?
- Member Sign-Up form
- Jobs/Other Boards