Administrators can now add fields to the Member Sign-Up template to collect UTM codes or parameters for referral tracking purposes. These codes are passed on by links such as those from Google Adwords. The fields are invisible to your website users, but can be viewed and exported by the admin.
How to implement this feature to your sign-up form
- Go to Customization > Member Sign-Up
- Click on “+Add Field”
- Under Field select “New custom field”
- Under Type select “UTM code/parameter”
- Under the Parameter field, select the appropriate UTM code you want to record with this field. Your choices are:
- Provide an appropriate Description and 2-letter identifier
- Click OK
- Repeat steps 2-7 for each of the UTM codes you want to record
- Click “Save Template” on the left to save the changes to the form. UTM fields will be invisible to those completing your form.
- Add the newly created fields to the Admin Profile template or use the “Copy” button on the left menu to copy the Member Sign-Up form to the Admin Profile form. This is necessary for the admin to view and download these fields. Do not use the Copy button if you have done prior customization to your Admin Profile template that made it different from your Member Sign-Up template.
What is a UTM code?
- How much traffic comes from a specific link, such as a link in an email campaign, blog post or on social media
- If the ad campaign you are running is having success
- Conversion metrics in Google Analytics related to various campaigns
URL formatting and example
Then the URL you should provide to the referral source is:
When the referral source directs users to the page with the UTM codes, the URL would look something like this:
How do I access the UTM field data?
Once you’ve added UTM-related fields to your membership signup form, you can access the data from these fields in bulk or by each member.
To see UTM data for a specific member:
- Pull up the member record by searching for them in Members
- Click on their profile card
- Click on the “Profile” tab
- The UTM fields will be listed here provided that you have set them up in your Admin Profile template.
You will need to export a CSV file to get bulk data:
- Go to Members
- Click “Export”
- Select your UTM-related fields as well as any other fields you wish to export
- Click “Download”
How do I know if I need to add this field to my Member Sign-Up template?
Can MembershipWorks help me set up UTM codes?
Can I use UTM codes with other forms in MembershipWorks?
- Event registration form
- Jobs/Other Boards