MembershipWorks vs. WildApricot
Looking for a WildApricot Alternative?
MembershipWorks is a popular alternative to WildApricot that has many of the same features, but is less expensive and also works seamlessly with most existing websites.
Why MembershipWorks is better than Wild Apricot
- Keep your current website. With MembershipWorks, most organizations don’t have to redesign their website in a new, unfamiliar website builder. That’s because MembershipWorks is built to work seamlessly on a variety of platforms including WordPress, Squarespace, Weebly, Wix, Duda, Spacecraft and more. With WildApricot, customers have to use their proprietary website builder or will need to use use iframes at fixed dimensions (meaning scroll bars) to add WildApricot features into other website platforms.
- Price. WildApricot’s cheapest plan starts at $48/month while MembershipWorks starts at $35 and even offers a free plan for those with less than 50 member accounts in the system.
- Lower transaction fees for nonprofits. With WildApricot, customers have to use their affiliated payment gateway or pay as much as 20% extra to them each month. Nonprofits can often find lower transaction fees with other payment gateways like Stripe, but WildApricot’s 20% fee increase goes into effect if you go that route. MembershipWorks does not add any additional fees or charges for using their integrated payment gateways: Stripe, Authorize.net, or PayPal.
- Free phone support. Being able to talk to someone on the phone can help you get your questions answered more quickly than email and chat support. Even those on the free plan have access to MembershipWorks phone support. See reviews discussing MembershipWorks support on Capterra, G2, Reviews.io, and the WordPress repository.
- Free one-on-one screen share training. You can request unlimited free screen share training with MembershipWorks. The training can be for a group or just one person. You won’t be watching a pre-recorded video; you and the trainer will be looking at your account and addressing your unique questions.
- Keep your options open. If you choose WildApricot and decide that you don’t like the limitations of their site builder, you won’t just have to rebuild your site in a new platform, you’ll also need to migrate to a different membership system. That is unless you are satisfied with WildApricot’s limited integration possibilities using iframes. If you start with MembershipWorks, you can switch among the compatible website builders at any time without losing the work you have put into your membership database.
|Price per month starts at||$0; paid plans start at $35||$0; paid plans start at $48|
|Additional per-transaction charges (beyond payment gateway fees)||$0||Must use their affiliated payment gateway which has higher fees for nonprofits than other choices *|
|Member Only Content||Yes||Yes|
|Event Calendar / Registration||Yes||Yes|
|Job Board||Yes||Yes, but with revenue sharing|
|Announcement Board or Forum||Yes||Yes|
|CMS compatibility||WordPress, Weebly, Squarespace, Wix, Duda, WithoutCode, Drupal, Joomla, Spacecraft, HTML5 sites||Custom CMS. Uses iframes to embed widgets on other platforms **|
|Key Integrations||MailChimp, Quickbooks Online and Desktop, Xero||Quickbooks Desktop, Make (connects WA to other apps)|
|Payment Gateways||Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal||Affinipay (Paypal and Authorize.net at an additional cost)|
|Support||Phone, email, live screen share training||Forum, chat, email|
|Admin seats on paid plans||Unlimited||Unlimited|
* Wild Apricot adds 20% to its monthly/annual fees if you don’t use their affiliated payment gateway. Nonprofits can often find lower transaction fees with other payment gateways like Stripe, but the 20% fee increase comes into play if you go that route.
** Iframes offer limited compatibility for Wild Apricot with WordPress, Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace.
Explore MembershipWorks Features
|Membership Management||Event Calendar & Registrations||Online Payments||Donations, Carts & Forms||Job Board||Announcement Board||Classified Ads||Member Directory||Members Only Content/Items|
Note that pricing and features may change from the information we have gathered here. Providers regularly evolve their product offerings and price points.