Administrators can now add fields to Job Boards, Announcement Boards, and Classified Boards to collect UTM codes or parameters for referral tracking purposes. These codes are passed on by links such as those from Google Adwords. The fields are invisible to your website users, but can be viewed and exported by the admin.
How to implement this feature on a Board
- Within Jobs/Other Boards, click on the board where the UTM codes should be added
- Click on the “Form Template” tab
- Click on “+ Add Field.” Note that if you have already created UTM fields for your Member-Sign Up template, you can reuse/add those fields here without impacting the data collected by either form.
- Under Field select “New custom field”
- Under Type select “UTM code/parameter”
- Under the “Parameter” field, select the appropriate UTM code you want to record with this field. Your choices are:
- Provide an appropriate Description and 2-letter identifier.
- Click OK
- Repeat steps 2-7 for each of the UTM codes you want to record
- Click “Save Template” above to save the changes to the board. UTM fields will be invisible to those submitting a listing.
What is a UTM code?
UTM stands for Urchin tracking module. UTM codes are added to the end of a URL; they provide Google Analytics or other tools with information about the link. With UTM codes attached to your links, you can track:
- How much traffic comes from a specific link, such as a link in an email campaign, blog post or on social media
- If the ad campaign you are running is having success
- Conversion metrics in Google Analytics related to various campaigns
URL formatting and example
Then the URL you should provide to the referral source is:
When the referral source directs users to the page with the UTM codes, the URL would look something like this:
How do I access the UTM field data?
Once you’ve added UTM-related fields to your Board, you can view the UTM data for a listing by clicking on Manage > Edit listing from the Board dashboard.
You can also access the data from these fields in bulk by exporting the listings to a CSV file:
- Go to your Board’s Dashboard
- Click “Export CSV”
- Click on “Export all”
How do I know if I need to add this field to my Boards?
Can MembershipWorks help me set up UTM codes?
Can I use UTM codes with other forms in MembershipWorks?
Yes, you can use them on the following MembershipWorks features:
Comments are closed.